CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

8

My Dearest Raina,

You are changing so much! My dear, little one! You amaze me! You do realize, do you not, that you are deceiving Aunt and Uncle? It is not like you to lie. You really have changed.
I would go on with the pleasantries, but I cannot. My dearest, sister, oh the pains of this cruel world! The sorrows and injustices inflicted by the reign of a king! When will we be permitted to end his cruel reign?
I could continue in my beautiful poetic lamentations, but it would be better to tell you all that has caused me such grief.
There are two different sources of agony for my soul at this time, but I will tell you about them in the order they occured.
My training with Gi was not going well. I fear I was doing poorly at overcoming his effect on me and I was failing miserably in everything I tried. But, praise the heavens, my eyes have been opened and I have been blessed with a dramatic change in feeling, if not circumstance.
It was ten days ago, the day of Tourn. Gi was to participate in one of his last Cavalry Tournaments. I could not help but be excited. This would be the first time I would see him in an actual Tournament, and I could not help but think of the tradition of the Scarves. That silly tradition that you were always so fond of dreaming about. We used to play the end of a Tournament, I would be the victorious Warrior and you the beautiful maiden. We would steal Aunt Kalesa's dowry scarf and you would tie the Love Knot on old Kinder's bridle when I begged for a sign of love from the one "nearest my heart."
I am certain I had passed into the first stages of insanity that day. But, bless the heavens, I am saved from such foolish imaginings.
Gi was splendid and he won. The crowd was large and packed in as he passed through, searching for the one "nearest his heart". He passed closed to me and I felt that harmful heat across the distance between us. But he went on, he went on and betrayed the deepest feelings of my soul. Not the silly fancies one silly girl has for a gorgeous man. No, the feelings of freedom, the feelings so deep down inside my being, that his betrayal all but stopped the beating of my heart.
He made his way to the Royals and with a breath of betrayal to the people of this good land, he asked for a token of love from the one nearest his heart, Princess I'talia, youngest sister of King Gioto.
No other words were spoken, but I knew then that Gi was the mysterious and oft mentioned suitor of the Princess I'talia.
I had taken for granted the fact that Benk would only be friends with those loyal to our cause. I had not foreseen such a breach of trust. But I cannot blame Benk for the mislaid loyalties of Gi. Benk was only trying to do what was best for me. And I think it has finally paid off. I hate Gi. I hate him with all the loyalty I have to the cause of freedom. And I train well. I believe I have even shocked Benk with my sudden zest. I can defend myself against any move the traitor Gi throws against me. Away with the formalities and the facade of friendliness! He is my enemy and I treat him as such. I am no longer afraid to hurt him.


Forgive me. My soul is so pained that I no longer care for the words spoken or written. They can do no more harm than has already been done.
I will now tell you of the actions of the king, the thing that has left me with every faculty of my soul bent on the destruction of such a system of government.
Last night, Abe came and said goodbye to me. That dear, quiet fellow who had such hopes of becoming the greatest swordsman this world has known. My dear tutor of the Sword and fellow Warrior, my strongest ally in the cause of freedom.
He told me that he was going home. He would not tell me why, he simply shook his head and bid me goodbye before he stumbled out the door and out of my humble life.
With my usual thoughtlessness and passion, I rushed to Master Gann's office and banged loud and hard on the door. Master Gann finally opened the door and I pushed my way in, heedless of his questioning glance, and sat down.
"What has happened?" I demanded. "Why is Abe going home?"
Master Gann wiped his brow and sat down opposite me, obviously weary. "Abe was caught offguard by one of the King's Spy's. It seems he was unguarded in his dislike of the King and spoke too freely." I was shocked and silent. "I'm sorry I'taira. There was nothing I could do. I was either to charge him with treason and send him to the King's Court, or discharge him from Warrior Training and he could go home."
I glared at him with all the hatred welling inside me. "You could have fought. You could have said something. You could have done something! You didn't even try!" My voice began to rise higher and I could feel my emotions swelling. I stomped out into the cool night air, leaving Master Gann to his cowardly thoughts.
It is M'onday.



The M'onday Next:

My thoughts have cleared somewhat and I must apologize for some of what I have written. I am afraid my passions fog my reason.
Master Sotur'i arrived last W'ednesday and the fight you spoke of was on Th'ursday. It was exactly as you described it. Because magic is involved, they are forbidden to show their faces, so I could not tell you who they were even if I wanted to. I am astounded that you saw what was to happen. How can this be? I am afraid such things as magic are far beyond my understanding.
Master Sotur'i's apprentice was absolutely fantastic! I tried to see where he went in order to see who he was, but he all but disappeared in the crowd and when I asked Sotur'i who he was, he just smiled and walked away. Awful people with secrets!
Well, I am dying. At least my dreams of becoming the best are. My training with Gi couldn't be better. I am doing so well that we have taken to only training three times a week. And my archery is splendid, as always, and even in the Knife and Hand to Hand, I am one of the best. But I am failing miserably with the Sword. Without Abe I have fallen behind and even with him I was struggling to keep up. I am afraid I cannot be the best unless I master the Sword along with everything else.
Sotur'i told me he is going to watch me in the Trainees Tournament this W'ednesday to see if I am keeping up on my punishment. I am terribly afraid to disappoint him, but I am afraid there is no helping it.
If only Abe were here! I miss him so very much! He was so good at listening and being my big friend. And don't get into the mushy likings. No, I never took a fancy to Abe. He was just one of my best friends. He would have loved that fight!
Yes, I speak of you often to my friends. They know nearly all there is to know about you. I even told Benk of your suspicions. He thought the whole thing rather funny. They are all very anxious to meet you, Benk especially. I am terribly afraid that Kira and Terk won't take your advice and wait to marry 'til after Warrior Training. They are both on leave for one week and I have a sneaking suspicion that Kira went to Terk's home to meet his parents. Aah! What foolishness love brings about!
I am so very anxious for the Tournament on W'ednesday I can hardly concentrate.





The M'onday Next:


Good heavens! You would think I would have already sent this letter to you! But I have wanted to write more and have not gotten the chance until now.
The Tournament was... as expected. I was the best in Archery and Cavalry, second in Hand to Hand and third in Knife. I was twenty-second in Sword.
Don't laugh.
Master Sotur'i found me after the Tournament and congratulated me on my victories. When he came to the subject of the Sword, I had the feeling that he was trying to keep in something akin to a laugh. I was a bit hurt, for I had tried my hardest.
He gave me some pointers and then drew me aside where it was a bit quieter.
"I'taira, you have made some rapid progression and I cannot say that I am entirely displeased with you." I smiled slightly, flattered at the small compliment. "But if you don't master the Sword, it defeats the entire purpose of the punishment." I groaned and let my shoulders sag. Sotur'i smiled slightly and motioned to someone hidden in the shadows.
"I have heard great reports on your progress with Warrior Gi Medo." I groaned extra loud when Gi came into view and shook hands with Master Sotur'i. Sotur'i glanced at me and continued. "I am certain you are well aware of Gi's talents in Cavalry, but perhaps you did not know that he is also one of the top Warrior's with the Sword.
I groaned again, seeing where this was leading. I was aware of Gi's talents and had only hoped that Sotur'i was not.
"You will train every other night with the Sword. That should work nicely." Sotur'i brushed his hands, satisfied with the arrangements and Gi looked down, apparently checking out the mud on his boots but more likely hiding a grimace.
I quickly grabbed Master Sotur'i by the arm and scooted a little away from Gi. "Forgive me Master, but I must disagree. Could there not be someone better to teach me? Warrior Medo is too busy to train me every night." I tried to think of other reasons why he should not teach me but came up empty.
Master Sotur'i studied me with a thoughtful eye and then shook his head. "It is plain to see, I'taira, that you and Gi are not the best of friends. But that does not in any way change my mind in having him train you. He is one of the best and that is what you need." I frowned and he smiled. "Besides," he turned me to face Gi, "that is your competition. Who better to battle every other night?"
Then he walked off, still sporting a large smile. Ugh.
That was W'ednesday. It's M'onday. Two days of Sword with Gi. I am getting better.


Yours ever,
'Tair

P.S.
I confess I don't know a whole lot about Mages. My comments about them only came from a conversation I had recently had with Benk. But I know very little about them.

P.S.S.
My dear, darling sister! I only just glimpsed over your letter again! An offer of marriage!? Forgive me for not commenting on it earlier. I was so caught in my emotions that I hardly gave more than a passing glance to your letter. I am sorry for the hurt you must have caused Carcon but I am certain it is all for the best. At least he knows where you stand now. And my comments about Master Sotur'i were just silly. I was just in such a confused state that I grasped at what I could to focus on something else. Of course it would be very improper for you to take a fancy to your Master. Forgive me.

P.S.S.
Be very careful around those Spy's. Especially after what has happened to Abe.