CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

12

Oh My Dearest Raina,

As your legal guardian I am very disappointed with the way you have been acting. That you should be lying, and sneaking and stoop so low as to put a spell on your kinsman! But as your sister I say, good for you!
You are finally learning to take care of yourself!
Your powers sound confusing and hard to control and I am amazed that you are already so far accomplished.
I am so very sorry for the way people have been treating you. People can be so prejudiced and so blind. And I'm sorry Aunt and Uncle get ridiculed for your sake. They may not be the nicest people, but they have been good to us and it is not right that they should get punished for one of the only good things they've done in their lives.
Why are the Soldiers there? Please be safe little one!
Now, as to the fight situation. Well, it seems I have found another way to get out of fighting you, unconventional as it is.
Right now, I am snuggled and cozy in a hayloft above an ancient farmer's "old Bessie". The smell is not so pleasant but I find it absolutely necessary that I remain here for the night as it is snowing good and hard in the world outside and I have nowhere else to go. Now, don't drive yourself to pieces, I'm fine. I will tell you how I came to be here.
Everything was going well. Master Tyr took to me quickly and I was continually progressing in all areas. I still struggle with the sword, which is a bit embarrassing, seeing as I am top. But I had nothing to complain of and it seemed as though all my dreams of finishing early and being the best were soon to be realized. But it seems fate had a quarrel with me and decided to give my life a twist.
It was two days past, a M'onday to be exact, and I was taking my usual stroll through the thriving streets of the city. I have not had more than a passing glance at Benk since I moved up, so imagine my surprise at finding him feet away from me in the hustle and bustle of the city.
He had not seen me so I hurried to him, intending to surprise him at the last moment. When I came within hearing distance, which is a small circumference around the persons speaking, I caught bits and pieces of his conversation. I had not noticed with whom he was speaking but I now took the opportunity to scrutinize the man.
He was uncommonly tall and regal. He was clean shaven, showing to perfection his firm jaw and surprisingly wide mouth, giving one the impression of someone who is easily amused.
They were talking in an undertone and I struggled to catch their words. I had placed myself slightly behind a venders cart, just out of the peripheral vision of the two. Though I was unable to pick up on the gist of the conversation, I could tell the matter was important. Every part of their body language told me so.
When I could see that they were soon to part, I began to leave my hiding place, wanting to catch Benk before he melted into the crowd. No sooner had I taken one step towards my friend, than I froze.
As the man was leaving, I could see a pattern of men in the crowd corresponding with his movements, similar to what we had been taught were the guard movements of any Royal person. Thoughts fit together quickly and the conclusion is what stopped me.
It was the King. Something about him had seemed familiar to me but I had failed to place it at first. But it came to me in a rush now. The jewelled rings on his fingers easily placed him in a position of importance. Though he had changed much since he came to Tayna over ten years ago, you could still make out the boyish something about him, that quick smile and laughing eyes.
But what had truly frozen me in that crowded square was the fact that he had been conversing so easily with Benk. There had been nothing superior in his manner towards him, something that had kept me from placing him in my mind sooner. They spoke as friends, friends old and well known.
My thoughts began to spin and I realized in a daze that Benk had seen me and had frozen also, mirroring myself.
I began to run. I dimly heard his voice behind me, calling me to stop, but I couldn't. Tears were streaming down my face as I ran towards the only sanctuary I knew.
I didn't stop until I reached the highest gable. I sat on the old palace roof for hours, at times sobbing out my pain and at others unable to squeeze out the tears. My thoughts eventually calmed down and I tried to place them in order.
You have been right all along, dearest. Benk is a spy. And apparently one of high ranking. Everything in the King's manner said so. And I have been cruelly deceived all along. I curse myself that I was so very blind. That I let him in on so much of my life and my dreams. There was no question that now that I knew his secret, he would reveal mine. I knew that I was destined to go the same way as Abe.
Abe! That is how he was so easily caught! And Kira and Terk! Although they were caught in a different way. I had never realized how much Benk had pushed their marriage and leaving. The tears continued to come as I realized how perfectly things had worked against us and how I had been the one to let him in. Day by day he had drawn me closer to him by getting rid of my other friends, until I was safely in his net. He was the only one left, the only one to whom I could relate the details of our plans. The only one to whom I could turn for help, help that would only destroy us. How could I have been so blind!
My thougts continued to spin until I cried myself to sleep. I was awoken by the suddenness and severity of the rain. I scrambled up and off the roof, making my way to the barracks, dimly realizing that there was a great chance that Benk would be waiting there, waiting to have me carried off to prison.
Heedless of these facts, I rushed in and found the barracks empty of intruders. The other girls were asleep and I quickly changed into something dry and lay down to sleep.
But sleep would not come. My thoughts were clearer now and I began to think of how I was to face Benk again, and what course of action he was likely to take.
After many arguments and bitter cursings in my head, I made a plan. I got up quickly and quietly and placed my few possessions back in the sack that I had so eagerly placed them in before I came to Warrior Training.
When I was packed I wrote a short note to Master Tyr, explaining that I had received news of a terrible illness come upon my sister and that I could make no delays in hurrying to her side. I could not help but finish with the hope that they would leave a spot in Warrior Training for me the coming year, as I still hoped to finish what I had begun.
I had truly considered coming home to you, but we must remember that that is the first place they will look for me, especially with that letter. So I have determined to find dear Abe and perhaps do what I can to forward our cause with him. I am afraid I will not be able to return to Warrior Training until I am free and clear of the King.
You are entirely free to have your little fight with whoever the Magic Master chooses. If it is Gi I wish you luck and if it is anyone else, I wish them luck. But I don't think it will be Gi. He made a hasty departure the day before I did. Benk said it was some family business. He didn't think he would be coming back.
It seems we both have more enemies that is good for one's health. And this name business is a smart idea. I think Raina is good for you. And I suppose I may as well go by Tair. The "I" thing is too conspicuous and very few people have ever called me Tair, so no one should suspect.
I wish you the best in your fight and I cannot help but be grateful that we no longer need to fight each other. And you mustn't mourn for me too much, I have left Warrior Training as the official Top Warrior and I will have to be content with that for now.
With all the love a heart can give,
I'taira (I'taira for the last time until we have rid the land of this tyranny and need for secrecy.)

Later:

Can we trust Master Sotur'i? If so, can we trust him enough to beg his help? I know you are fully capable of looking out for yourself now, but I don't want you to be alone and you need to leave Tayna. I can write Aunt and Uncle, directing them to put you under Sotur'i's care. I need you to go to H'lafa. People are being picked off like flies and I need someone there to keep everything under tabs. Sotur'i shouldn't object to training you there and you could be of so much more help to us there.
I need someone to look after Benk. I don't know why or how, but he needs to be watched. I am sick of having the King's Spies everywhere. We need some spies ourselves. I need you to be my spy, be my eyes. I need to know who's with and who's against the king. People need to know who to avoid. I am certain now that there are more spies in and around Warrior Training. We need our people in Warrior Training and we can't afford to have them discovered. I need someone to find out where people stand and keep them apart. Can you do this?