CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

14

My Dearest Raina,

I am so very proud of you for the way you have handled things. And I am so grateful that you have chosen to help me. It means the world to me and it may mean the world to the rebellion.
I am not surprised to find Gi in cahoots with the King. He always had a streak of Royal Pride that could not be quelled. I suppose he has a bigger chance than I thought with I'talia. The King must value him pretty highly to take him on such an errand as capturing the finest Mage the kingdom has known in millennia. Yes, my dearest, that is what you are. Rumor is hard to quell and it has spread even here, telling the tales of the great Mage Raina, apprentice to Sotur'i, Master of the Magic Arts. People grasp at tales of magic so readily. If I did not know these things to be true, I would scoff at such imaginings. You have become a heroine to these good people. My only misgiving is that I cannot let the people know that Raina is behind our cause. I know what harm it would do and what danger it would likely put you in but it is such a temptation to use your great name for our benefit. But I will resist the temptation and use what other means I can.
I am glad that you have met Benk and most especially glad that he does not suspect you. I cannot hold any anger against my old friend. He could have done great harm to our cause but he showed something of honor in giving us a chance to get away. If it weren't for our choice of sides, I believe we would always be friends. But I urge you to keep yourself blameless and free from any suspicion. If you must use your magic, do so, and freely. I fear deeply what would happen if Benk discovered your secrets. He is one to be wary of.
Your stories of escape and intrique are more than I can boast of. I am afraid any spark of glamour I may have had during my training has completely escaped me. My stories now can only tell of fruitless searchings and endless trying of patience.
I roam the highlands and the villages night and day, searching for my friends. But to no avail. My latest letter from Benk clearly stated that he was in Fr'egard but I cannot find the slightest trace of his presence there in the past twelvemonth. My searchings have taken me near and far Fre'gard but alas, no one has even heard of Abe L'in. I fear he has disappeared from off the face of this rotten earth right along with Kira and Terk. The same story - no one has heard of them.
I fear I am losing my mind along with my feet. My roamings shave off a little more each day.
But I'm afraid I bore you. I make my way to the city of H'agel tomorrow and I'll be thrust if I don't find some news of them there.


Later:

I cannot put into my own words what these pieces of paper in my hand say so plainly. I am in H'agel and the city Recorder was in possession of these papers of fate:

Abe Greer L'in, Son of the late Arnold and Tosh L'in, passed away on the third of J'an in the year 108 according to the reckoning of the Almighty King Gioto. The good Governor's son's tutor found the said man rambling in mighty insanity on the hill near the said Governor's son's tutor's residence. He was taken in, with due consideration and care, but all efforts failed in bringing the said dead man to rights. He passed into the heavens at twelve-twenty-seven on the said day. His remains were duly buried on the said hillside, remaining to this day the Hill Side.

Signed, City Recorder of Deaths and Births, Sharold Newm'an

This is the second paper:

Terk and Kira K'ir J'und, unknown parentage, passed away on the fifth of F'ebruar in the year 108 according to the reckoning of the Almighty King Gioto. The said man and woman came to the humble city of H'agel on the said day and were married by the good Reverend F'itz, giving no names but their own. They took residence for the night in the good man Fr'ed Gore's home and retired early. The said Fr'ed was woken from slumber near the turn of the night by a high pitched wailing in his residents room. He entered and found the said dead man dead, and the said dead woman wailing. The said Fr'ed did what he could to calm the wailing woman but did not succeed in calming her. The said Fr'ed went to fetch a drink for the wailing woman and on returning to the said room, he found the wailing woman no longer wailing, having joined her husband in the heavens above. The good Docter J'urny could find no cause of death other than the sudden stopping of the heart. The jury, finding the evidence insufficient, released the said Fr'ed from the city gaol, where he had been held for murder of the said dead man and dead woman. The remains of the said couple were buried on the Hill Side.

Signed, City Recorder of Deaths and Births, Sharold Newm'an

I sit near the graves of my friends, mourning with every fiber of my being.
Yours in sorrow,
Tair


Later:

I curse myself for my weakness! After all my physical exertions in my trainings, you would think that such a thing as lack of food would have very little effect on me. But I'm afraid I am still vulnerable to all such weaknesses known to man.
I sat on the Hill Side, tears running in rivers down my face, my shoulders shaking with the force of my sobs. It had been nearly three days since I ran out of food. My searchings had been so eager and with the news of these deaths, I found no thought for nourishment and I let myself go weak.
As I mourned, I was approached by a small woman. She was wrapped in a thick green shawl and she held part over her head, warding off the rain that I had not noticed pouring down in thick torrents.
I believe she watched me a moment until my eyes cleared and I noticed her presence. She bowed her head slightly, acknowledging my presence and I in turn did the same. She passed me as she walked to a different grave and a placed a small bundle of roses on it. As she stood in reverence, I stood up to go, wanting to leave her alone in her mourning. As I stood, I wobbled slightly but kept my balance. Out of the corner of my eye I could see that the woman had turned and was watching me as I made my way down the hill.
I tried to keep my composure, but I could feel every muscle of my body shaking, weary from the lack of food and the hard crying. As I wobbled more and more, I dimly saw the small woman motioned to someone in the shadows on the hillside and then I saw the earth speeding towards me. The moment before I hit the ground, I felt myself lifted off the ground and into the most welcoming arms. And then everything went black.
I later learned that it was many days before I fully came to, but to me it seemed but a moment, a moment of bliss, of nothing.
When I did regain my senses, I found myself in a small tent like enclosure. I could see the sun dipping in the west and I could hear the sounds of life through the tent opening. I attempted to raise myself but failed miserably. I lay back and determined to wait until someone came.
But the waiting was painful and I almost thought I had been forgotten before the tent flap opened further and I saw the most glorious figure to ever grace this earth!
The outline was of a short and slightly stout woman and if I had had the strength I would have run to her and grappled her to the ground in the biggest and best hug known to mankind.
I raised myself as high as possible and with every ounce of energy croaked out her dear name.
"Kira!!!" my voice rasped and hurt against my throat but I kept repeating that dear name, wanting to convey my joy at seeing my dear friend, the friend I had so recently mourned as dead. "Kira! Kira! Kira!" I went on and on until nothing came out of my dry throat.
But to my astonishment, Kira did not move. She stood there, immovable and I could not see why. The sunlight was coming in behind her and I had difficulty in distinguishing her features.
I dropped myself back onto the small cot and watched the still figure. My head was beginning to spin and I was longing for my dear friend to come closer where I could see her and touch her, to know that she was real.
But Kira stayed there, as still as ever until I was dying with impatience. I tried to rasp out her name again and beg her to come nearer but nothing would come, nothing but the tears that I could not hold back.
Why was my dear friend not coming to me!? Why!? After I had mourned her supposed death so deeply and gone searching for her for so long, all I wanted was to touch her and know that she was really real.
When I awoke it was dark outside the tent and a single candle was burning on the stool beside the cot. I wiped my forehead with the back of my hand, attempting to dispell the memory of that dream. The same dream came to me often. Ever since I had woken the first time to find myself in that small tent, I had dozed in and out, always dreaming the same dream.
Every time I awoke I found the small woman by my side, cooling my face with a wet cloth or feeding me the most wonderful soup. I believe I must have gone on like this for a few days at least, until I finally was able to sit and feed myself.
My throat was dry and swollen and I found it hard to talk but I wanted so badly to know where I was and why. I croaked out the questions but the woman simply shook her head and motioned for me to sleep more. She must have noticed that I was not sleeping well for I soon found myself sleeping much better and I believe she put something in the soup.
I curse myself for my weakness! I went on like this for days, never knowing where I was or who this angel was. I could not wait any longer and one night I sat myself up and refused to eat until I was answered. I know, not very nice to the woman who had already done so much for me, but I felt like her care would be in vain if I did not get some questions answered, for I would die of curiosity.
"Please tell me where I am and who you are and how I came to be here and why I am here." I barely got these few words out before my strength was gone and I fell back against the cushioning.
The woman smiled and spoke. Her voice was as soft and sweet as Miny's fur and I nearly fell asleep to the sound of it.
"You are on the outskirts of the Forbid'en Desert in the caravan of the Sage Mor'en, myself. You may remember that I found you on the Hill Side and you fainted. You were unconscious for many days and so I couldn't do anything but let you come with us. I had my nephew bring you down the hill and you have been with us since." She smiled and touched my forehead, feeling the heat, and then motioned for me to sleep again. My strength was exhausted and I quickly fell asleep.
When I awoke again I was alone and I was glad for the time I had to let my thoughts settle. I was disturbed that I had let so much time go by and that I was so far away from where I wanted to be. Although I had to admit that I hadn't thought much of where I would go, but I knew that I wanted to be somewhere with people and the Forbid'en Desert was far from populated.
When the Sage Mor'en came back in I was sitting erect and had regained a good amount of strength.
"Sage Mor'en," I began. "I thank you for your hospitality. I believe you have saved my life." She nodded her small head and watched me keenly. "If I can beg but one favor more from you. I need to get to H'lafa. If you could but spare a mount and food I would gladly pay you." Luckily I had with me my pack which contained a few gold pieces.
I watched the Sage as she bowed her head to think. When she lifted her head I realized that I held the blanket corner clutched in my hands and that I waited with baited breath for her judgement.
My thoughts had been something like this: I had come to the conclusion that the King was somehow invloved in the deaths of my friends. The causes did not seem natural and they were all known to have been involved in the rebellion.
I knew that you were in H'lafa but I also knew that I could do the most good there. I have no qualms in admitting that I was not below thinking of assassinating the King.
Such were my thoughts and intentions. I knew I had to get to H'lafa. And Sage Mor'en had been so good to me that I didn't doubt she would do this last thing for me.
With the Sage's eyes piercing mine, she said these fateful words.
"I sense evil thoughts in your heart. You mourn deeply for your friends but your feelings go deeper than sadness. You have thoughts of revenge." They were stated as facts and I could not deny them. "You claim I have done good in caring for you. It may be. If I have done good, then surely I cannot stop now." I was certain she would grant my request. "Would it then be good for me to assist you in a revenge so justly wanted?" I felt like she was rambling and I was getting impatient. My strength was coming back in a rush and I was impatient to be off.
Mor'en's eyes clouded over and I sensed she was thinking deeply. After a few moments her eyes flashed and I could see that she had come to a decision.
"This will I do. I will gladly give you a mount and any provisions you may need." I nearly leaped out of bed and began to gather my things. She watched me for a moment and then spoke again.
"This will I do and freely. But first you must do something for me." I held in the groan and sat back on the bed. "My daughter Zel is kept from me in the Tower of Deth. Free her and I will see that you get to H'lafa."
I nearly laughed. The Tower of Deth! Benk and I had had a lengthy discussion on the Tower and I was more than certain that I would have no trouble in freeing the girl. The place was entirely unprotected and the enchantments were minor, nothing to bother about, sugar blocks and such. I quickly agreed and the Sage left me adding that I was to take her nephew with me and that we would leave in the morning.
I don't expect this to take more than a couple of days and then I will be on my way to you. I am certain we will find a way to keep my presence unknown. All will be well. I am glad you have sent me the instructions to send this back to you by magic. I fear there would have been no way to get this to you otherwise. I will send this immediately and heavens willing I will see you shortly.

Yours always,
Tair

P.S
Sages! I don't know how anyone can stand to associate with them! I don't know why I ever listened to that old Sage that told me I was to do a great something or other. They never come down from the clouds.
Mor'en has taken my sword from me, saying I will have no need of it. I am not too bothered, I have never been the best with a sword anyway. I still have my bow and knife and I believe we will do quite well. Mor'en's nephew is gone to get us some strange weed that Mor'en insists we will need. He is to meet me at the Tunnel head tomorrow.
Wish me fun! I dare say I won't need luck on something so easy.