CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

20

Dear Raina,

Greetings from the land of Gaol! Haven't heard a thing from Luc. Maybe I'm dead. I really don't know. I've been here years. Thousands of years!
About five hundred years ago, I sat on my little cot, thinking and eating the scraps that had been thrown into me that morning, when my thoughts were broken by the sound of an approaching visitor. My heart was beating loudly and I was so excited to finally see someone! Imagine my dismay when I found that my new gaol partner was to be Sol. At first I was only sad because I thought that must mean that something had happened to Luc but when I learned that he was safe and that Sol had let himself be caught, I was in for another nasty feeling. Annoyance.
Sol has been attempting to teach me more lessons. The occasional times I do listen, he doesn't make any sense. He says he needs to teach me but all he really does is ramble on.
But I get so lonely that I don't always mind his presence.
Raina, I'm dying. I don't say this out of some melodramatic fantasy. I can feel my body wasting away. The water we get is little and the food even less. I see Sol's glances and I know that he knows it too.
I've had a lot of time to think. I'm not afraid to leave this world. Only you. And Luc. And Benk. My friends. I only wish I could convey to you how much you mean to me. Don't ever forget me.
I don't wish to be melancholy. Perhaps in dying I can foil the King's plans. Perhaps this is the best good I can do for our cause. I will not be used against my people. It's better this way.
I will always love you. You are my greatest friend and my dearest sister.


Yours Always,
I'taira




Later:

Y' a t a i s b a c k . S o l w i l l w r i t e f o r m e.

Y'ata returned yesterday evening. Sol was rambling on. (I was not rambling. I was quoting Tessennon.) I am afraid I have been drained of much of my strength and I lay on the small cot, hardly moving. We were startled out of our nonsensical thoughts of escape (Mine were not nonsensical) by the opening of the prison door.
The wind rushed in and I was certain I had finally died. The light was so bright and the air began to circulate and I actually smiled. My smile vanished the moment I recognized the figure in the door. I struggled to sit up, refusing to give the impression of a broken carcass to this devil of a mage.
Before I had the time or strength to lift myself, Y'ata rushed to me and seized my arms in his hands and lifted me in the air with inhuman strength. He didn't say anything but just stared at me with the look of a madman. As suddenly as he had lifted me, he dropped me back onto the fragile cot causing it to break, which in any other situation would have been highly humorous.
He quickly left and we have not seen him since. I can still feel his hands on my arms and his eyes scanning my face and I still tremble with the thoughts. I'm afraid.

Forgive me. I'm doing much better. We have been sent in good food and clean water and I feel as if I have had a grand feast. I don't know what Y'ata has in store for us but it must be something entirely evil if it has got him to do anything slightly good in preparation for it.
Sol has been lecturing me again on courage. He thinks it's good that I'm afraid, saying I must now overcome that. I think Y'ata has already unconsciuosly subjected me to the worst torture: Sol.
Well, that is a bit melodramtic. I cannot deny that I am slightly glad he is here. I am not so lonely and some of his ramblings are actually soothing and do wonders at putting me to sleep.
So, what the life you lead sister! I used to think it would be grand to be in gaol, prisoner of the King, ah what the adventure! But it is quite the contrary and it is those who do not get caught that have all the adventures.
I cannot think why Y'ata is so bent on getting you. I am certain you are very skilled but why should he waste so much time on you? I don't get him. And did you ever figure out why he was specifically after Ranger? He sounds like a nice guy, but I don't get him either. I don't get much right now. The further I get entagled in these political matters the more my mind spins. I came into this knowing exactly what I was going to do and how everything would work out. But everything has become so tangled and I don't know what I'm supposed to do. I wish I could think clearly! Mayhap I've been drugged. I don't know. I don't know anything right now.
I wish Luc would come. I always thought I would be the one to save myself but I just want someone to rescue me! I never thought I'd be the damsel in distress, but by my bow I want my prince to come!
My mind wanders. I love your letters and I pray for your safety.

Yours in gaol,
'Tair

P.S.
Do you really think Luc could ever love me? Agh! I don't want to sound like a schoolgirl. I admit, I like Luc but he is so good. I don't think I will ever deserve someone half as good as him. If I were only more like you! Maybe then he would love. But I'm not. I'm only me.

P.S.

I'm scared for Luc. What do you think could have happened to him? Where is he?