CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

35

My Dearest Queen Raina,


Your news is... overwhelming. My dearest, dearest sister! The whole thing is utterly fascinating, it nearly gave me goosebumps. 
You have my promise that I will tell none other than my present companions of the great secrets contained in your letter. But I confess, I want to shout it to the world! 
I had tears streaming down my face as I read the history of our parents. For so many years we have speculated and then told ourselves that we didn't really need to know but now that we do know, I feel a great weight lifted off my mind and I feel so much more certain of myself and what I am doing. I am certain you feel the same. 
As for all the other incredible news your letter contained, I gathered together our little group of travelers and read aloud the best parts. We all rejoiced the night through with singing and dancing and I believe it may have been even happier than your last letter. 
Gi was smiling and laughing in utter astonishment and joy that the rest of us could not help but echo his happiness. He seemed as if the weight of all those years of servitude and solitude had been washed clean off and he giggled at the thought of himself being the playmate to the rightful king. 
I'talia smiled the night through, but of course most of it was old news to her. Though she sends he congratulations to yourself and her brother. She wishes you the best. I may point out that you have cause to wish her likewise. I cannot say more, as she and Benk made us promise to keep it inside the camp, but I don't think I am breaking a promise when I say that this is the time for quick weddings in odd places. 
I just cannot believe you are married! It is so amazingly, wonderfully unbelievable. 
Could you see our band of travelers at the moment, you would think us a great bunch of idiots with more than our share of good wine. We smile and laugh constantly and take little notice of the increasingly cold winds. 
Aah... I am so very happy for you. 
As for myself, well, there is not much to tell. We travel quickly and happily. The days do seem to grow longer as I grow more impatient to be with my newly wed sister, but Gi helps to ease their tedium. 
I suppose I will tell you how my love life fares. Though, mind you, I only do it for your sake. As you know, I am not very romantic but I know how you adore cute stories. 
After I received your letter and after our night of celebration, I sought out I'talia and we talked for a while of Ranger and you and Benk and she. We were a little ways off from the rest of the group as we traveled and I caught Benk and Gi giving us jealous stares as we whispered and giggled. I'talia finally couldn't stand to be away from Benk any longer and I was left to myself. 
Sol approached me and delivered one of his endless lectures about my eighth lesson while I sent Gi pleading looks. He finally responded and approached. Sol looked from Gi to me and shrugged his shoulders in despair as he went to show Benk the proper way to hold your hands while guiding a horse. 
I grew suddenly nervous when Gi and I were left alone and I directed my gaze ahead. He must have been nervous also as he spoke not a word and fiddled with his sleeve. 
After a while I brought up the topic of your latest letter and the conversation was comfortable. Soon we began to discuss Ranger's possible tactics and the debate grew rather hot.  I was for Ranger announcing himself, certain a larger majority would support us but Gi would not believe so and called it abuse of power. He believes Ranger already demands a big enough following and that his birth should be of no consequence in the leadership, he can do without it. 
The argument continued until we set up camp and left company still in sour spirits. 
Everyone else was still happy and rejoicing but Gi and I refused to speak to one another and soon the camp could not help but feel the tension. When asked by Sol who would retrieve water for the horses in the near stream, Gi and I both volunteered and then backed out when seeing the other. 
Sol looked back and forth between us and picked me. I smiled in triumph and sauntered away towards the stream. 
My thoughts were still in turmoil as I filled the buckets with water and I failed to notice the signs of an intruder. I have changed my opinion now, but at the time I so firmly believed Ranger should proclaim himself because I guess it gave me a certain sense of security in knowing that he is in the right. It is silly, I know, and I should have been the first to admit it. I am not usually one to place such importance on a birth right. 
I began to argue aloud but was cut short by a snort of derision not from my own mouth. I spun around and right into the knife butt of Master S'oturi. I gasped for air and was given no time to defend myself as he pounded on me with the dull side of his knife and sword. 
Now, given time and the proper weapons, I am convinced I would have had no trouble in defeating S'oturi. But I was taken completely off guard and he is rather good. So, in view of my circumstances, I did the only thing possible. I screamed. I screamed with all my heart and soul, naming my companions and pleading for help. 
S'oturi's boot slammed into my gut, leaving me gasping for life and unable to scream. I looked up at him through my tear strained eyes and saw him smirk down at my prostrate form. 
Dearest, don't worry yourself unduly. His eyes were glazed over and it was plain to see that his actions were not of his own will. As he told you once before, he is sworn to the King, and therefore, to Y'ata. 
At this point, I was going back and forth between black and white spots before my eyes and even had I been able to fight, I had no desire to battle a spell-ridden Master intent on my destruction. 
I attempted to speak, hoping perhaps that I could bring S'oturi out of his daze, but before three words had left my lips, the sharp tip of S'oturi's sword was against my chin and I fell silent. 
He said nothing but simply nodded and I saw in his eyes the command of Y'ata to take my life. I was on my back and as S'oturi raised his sword to surely strike me through the throat, I saw Gi racing through the trees, with the rest of my friends not far behind. I smiled through my tears and S'oturi blinked in confusion. 
Gi charged straight into S'oturi, knocking the sword from his hands but not before it scratched me on the neck and I was out cold. 
When I returned to life, I found myself in my cozy little tent, being faithfully watched over by I'talia. She smiled at me and I passed out again. I continue to be amazed at my abilities in leaving the conscious world. 
When I finally awoke to stay awake, I found Gi peeking through the tent flap, pleading to be able to come in. I'talia consented and he rushed in like little school boy, dropping to his knees by my side and grabbing my hand. I'talia smiled and made her exit as I sat up.  
"Will I live?" I teased. 
His eyes darkened, "S'oturi has very bad aim for being a Master. And he needs to work on dull blade fighting. I'm afraid the sharp side was used too often." He rain his finger along a small cut on my arm and I smiled when he wasn't watching. 
"Where is he?" I asked. 
"Much to my discredit, he got away." His jaw convulsed and his eyes darkened once more. 
"I'm glad." I notified him. "He should not be harmed for being under a spell. Besides, you should have a little more empathy for him. You were once in his same position."
He grinned ruefully and nodded his head. 
We were silent until I noticed the cut on his hand. It chilled my bones when I saw the small "Y" shape it made. I grabbed his hand and studied it. 
"He managed to leave Y'ata's mark on me, that's for sure. But, no biggie, I left my own on him." He was trying to lighten the mood and I let him. 
But then an impulse overcame me and I brought his certain-to-be-scarred hand to my lips and kissed it with more tenderness than I believed myself to possess. 
His eyes sparkled with the beginning of his oh-so-wonderful tears and I felt my own eyes begin to water. 
He took his hand from me and ran it a long the bandage on my neck, all the time keeping his eyes on mine. His hand moved down my arm and my breath shortened as his arm encircled my waist slowly. His face moved closer and my eyes closed, causing my other senses to sharpen. I felt his breath upon my face and the smell of him filled my brain with giddiness. I sensed him draw even closer and my heart began to drum deeply. 
But still his lips refrained from mine and I could not help but open my eyes to see what the matter was. His eyes were moist but his cheek was dry and his lips hung slightly open two inches from mine. And then he released me. He stood swiftly and turned his back on me. 
I sat in shock and felt my heart stop for the slightest moment. 
"Gi..." I choked. 
He kept his back turned to me as he spoke but I could imagine the creases on his forehead and the solitary tear running down his cheek. 
"I can't do this, Tair." His voice caught and he took a deep breath before continuing. "I... I've already told you how I feel." He turned to me and the light glinted on that beautiful solitary tear. "My feelings won't change Tair. And every time I'm with you they just get deeper. But I can't keep doing this and stay unconcerned. I love you Tair," At this his voice really caught. "But I need to know that you love me too." 
He again turned his back to me and failed to see the tears on my face and the smile that lit them. 
I got up and walked towards him until I was directly behind him. 
"I. Love. You." The words were slow and distinct and with each one I placed my hands against his back and then rested my head on his still form. 
He stayed unmoving for an eternal moment and then I was swinging in his arms and rewarded with the kiss that I had wanted so dearly. 
I am sure you can attest to this, but with each kiss I feel a new excitement and a new part of my heart join in the battle march. 
Suffice it to say, we were both very happy and still are and Benk and I'talia share knowing glances while Sol simply nods his head in merriment. 
But I don't intend to rush into things like some people. Not that I blame you or anyone else, but please, there is a war to be won and it's hard enough to handle all the husbands and wives around already. 
So, there is my current story. More exciting than usual and entirely satisfying if I may say so myself. 

Truly Yours and Someday Gi's, 
   I'taira