CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

34

Dear I'taira,

Your letter lightens my heart. Your friends miss you and Benk so much. They can't wait to see both of you. Abe and I have become very good friends. I can tell that Kira views me as a little child in some ways but that's alright. Abe and I sword fight every few days. Some times for practice and others just to show off. I had no idea that Abe had such a flare for showing off. He seems so quite at times but when he has an opportunity to shine forth he doesn't hesitate. Now I know why you loved Warrior Training so much. Abe loves teaching. He has no scruple in correcting my teaching styles. I of course come up with great things to say back to him. Abe is getting quite annoyed with me. When ever we fight I'll fight as long as I can with out magic. But as soon as I see that he might win I use magic then I win. He gets so mad. It's fun having friends. Abe says that you had so many suitors at Warrior Training, but that you always denied it and said nobody liked you. Abe told me how on some nights, in the boys sleeping tents, the boys would stay up late making bets on who could get you talk to them. They would always ask Abe what you were like. He said it was so irritating. Why didn't you ever tell me about this?

Kira and Terk are such a good couple. They are both very strong in the rebellion. I still don't think any one approves of Ranger liking me. Kira doesn't, that's for sure. I think that she was hurt a little bit from my disguise. Though Terk is very funny. He'll say the funniest things. The other night Ranger had managed to get a way from the Duke and we all sat up talking at the training area. Kira sat close to Terk holding his hand, Ranger had his arm around my waste pulling me close while Abe sat by himself feeling a little awkward. Kira is so straight forward. She thinks that we should straight on attack the King and Y'ata. Terk thinks that we should start causing a little trouble here and there for the King. Abe says that we should take small groups and destroy out posts. Ranger always listens quietly to your friends but then he always manages to make their ideas so illogical and full of folly that it would be suicide to do them. Ranger has absolute respect from your friends. I think he has it from everybody. That's probably why Kira doesn't talk about Ranger when I'm around. She has too much respect for him to tell me that she doesn't approve of me. We had a great night. We all just talked and I told your friends what you used to be like in the village then they would tell me what you were like in Warrior Training. Some how we got to the subject of Benk and his betrayal. I don't know if they fully trust Benk. I do. I think he was just confused for a little bit. But I know that deep down they do forgive him.

You may hate me for this but I did tell your friends about you and Gi. I've never seen Kira smile so much or Terk look all around pleased and Abe just laughed. Then I remembered about Benk and I'tailia. I never did tell Ranger so I told the whole group. No one said anything for a while. I think they were unsure. Ranger was in deep contemplation but didn't say anything. Kira broke the silence saying that it was definitely Benk who would end up with royalty. We all laughed and changed the subject. But Ranger remained oddly quite. I haven't seen Ranger for a few days and frankly, I'm worried about him. I don't know what I said but obviously it was important. Some times I just don't understand him. I try but no matter what I do I can't figure him out. But I suppose that's one of the reasons I love him. Can you imagine what would have happened if I had said yes to Carcon. You remember the farm help I wrote about right? Well all I can say is that I'm glad I didn't say yes just because he was the first one to ask me. I've got to go teach so I'll write in a few hours.

You wont believe what happened! It's so funny that it almost distracts me from my depression. I took a break from teaching and Abe and I started to fight. He gave me a few pointers here and there but stopped abruptly. I turned around confused as to why he stopped. There, walking by, was Emlyn. Her solemn face glittering in the light, her hair flowing around her as if it was blowing in a breeze. She looked at me and waved and I waved back. I looked at Abe and saw that his eyes didn't leave Emlyn until she was out of sight. I couldn't help it, I laughed. It was too funny. Abe is in love with Emlyn. He could scarcely draw his eyes off her. He watched me as I tried to control my laughter. His face turning bright red with embarrassment. "Raina be quite," Abe said. I couldn't stop laughing. It was just too hysterical. Emlyn, the quite girl, who never talked to any body but me and Ranger had some how accidentally caused Abe to like her. Every one thought that I was going insane. So I had to force my self to calm down. "Raina please don't tell any one," Abe said after a while. "I don't have to tell any one,"I said. " All I would have to do is bring Emlyn with me." "Raina it's not funny!" And then we started sword fighting again. After we were done and started to put things away Abe wouldn't stop mumbling. "What do you have to say?" I asked. "Raina would you ask Lady Emlyn what she thinks of me?" Abe said. His face was so earnest that I had to say that I would.

I'm at Emlyn's house right now. I really should ask her but I don't want to. Now that I'm back in the house with her my depression has come back. Emlyn's so solemn and sad. You probably want to know why I'm so depressed. Well I've come to a point in teaching in which I have nothing else to teach. I've taught them all I know. It's alarming how much I don't know. That's why I'm depressed. No, I'm not depressed, I'm frustrated. I am so -- mad, that I can't know more. I wish I had known I was a Mage my whole life, and had been able to study. You know so much about what you are. Me . . . I'm not so lucky. Do you still miss Luc? Emlyn does. I think that's why she's so sad all the time. She misses Luc. Can you imagine what it would be like if I betrayed you?

I can't help but smile every time I think of Abe. Now I know why he is so distant to all the other girls in the rebellion. He has a heart for only one person, Emlyn. Well here I go.

I asked her and you won't believe what she said. "Abe who?" I know perfectly well that she knows who Abe is. She doesn't want to let any one into her heart. I wouldn't be surprised if she dies an old maid! How can this be! I should just calm down. Emlyn must not know what kind of man she's turning down! But I suppose all will turn out right in the end.

A messenger boy just came with a note from Ranger. Ranger is so sweet. With the note he sent me a deep red cave flower. It tells of the true and undying love of a person. Oh, so the note was an invitation to a dinner with Ranger and the Duke. I sent a note back with the boy saying that I accepted. But I have to find a nice dinner dress! I don't know where to find one or how to pay for it. I'm going to go see Kira and see if she can help me. She's very good with this sort of stuff.

Later:

So much has happened since I last wrote to you. It's now morning of the day after I last wrote. I'll try to be brief but that's almost impossible. I went to Kira and she knew a lady who owned a dress shop. We went and in the very back was a beautiful gown. It is a white fabric with sparkles every where. The cut followed my body shape perfectly, flaring out a little at the bottom. The sleeves go to my elbows but droop quite a bit looking very fashionable, with a large oval neckline that goes shoulder to shoulder but doesn't go very low. It comes with a deep red velvet cloak. I knew that this would be perfect but how to pay for it was a whole new question. The lady was very unwilling to part with it but with Kira's persuasive ways we were able to get the dress for almost nothing. I had to bless the ladies business that it would flourish once the rebellion was over. I know that if we do ever get out of this thing alive I'm willing to shop at her dress shop any time. Kira insisted that I go to her house and let her do my hair and dress me up. And the Duke lives close to Kira's house so it would be easier for me to get there. I agreed. It only took us few hours but I thought it would never end. She did my hair up in a bun covered with small braids and delicate curls. Small wisps of hair hanging down were curled also. I looked just like a princess. I put on the dress and it looked way better on me in Kira's house then it did in the shop. I loved the feel of the fabric against my skin. Though I do miss my traveling pants and over leather shirt, though I can't lie I did like how the dress looked on me. Kira helped to do the finishing touches and I was done.

Ranger came to get me from Kira's home. I have no idea how he knew I was there but he did. I had my cloak on so he hadn't seen my dress. I was a little giddy with excitement. Ranger held my hand as we walked to the Dukes. "Does he mind that I'm coming?" I asked. "I told him I wouldn't dine with him unless you were there," Ranger said. I was satisfied with that answer. When we reached the Dukes house I was so nervous that Ranger wouldn't like my gown. He had already complemented me on how my hair looked so I hoped he would like the dress. I distracted my self by look at the Dukes house, it's very grand, probably the nicest house in the rebellion. Ranger led me into the dining area and offered to take my cloak. I let him help me take it off. He didn't say anything as he hung up my cloak but I could see in his eyes that he was pleased. He slid his arm around my waste and led me to the table. "You look like an angle," he whispered into my ear. I finally could breath again. It's so strange how much I want to please him. The Duke came in and we all talked over a fine meal. I caught the Duke appraising me several times that night. I think he approves of me now. The younger Duke was feeling very flirtatious but I ignored him to the best of my ability. Several times I could tell Ranger wanted to burst out laughing. Other than that the dinner was a pleasant one. After it was over the Duke requested that we stay and have some entertainment together. But Ranger politely refused. I was happy that it was over. It's always a little awkward when I meet with the Duke, because of what I had done to him.

Ranger didn't want to take me home yet so he suggested that we go outside for a walk. I agreed. The sun was about to set and already several torches were lit. We walked over to the pond where I had washed so many cloths with Kira. Ranger led me to a willow tree that I had never took much notice of. He led me inside the branches and leaves. When we were out of sight he kissed me softly. "Raina, "he said. "I have to move up to the front of the rebellion. But you have to stay in the back with Emlyn. That's a good three to four hour walk from here." "Why do you have to move?" I asked. "I'm going to be the leader. I need to be at the front,"Ranger said. We held each others hands looking through the leaves at the pond. "If that's what you must do then you should do it," I said. "Why can't I move closer though?" "Raina I need you to be in the back helping the others." "I want to be in the front with you," I argued softly. "I want you to be with me also. But it's just not going to work like that,"he said. I hugged him and just didn't want to let go. I had lost him once and I didn't want to lose him again. "Raina?" "Yes,"I said. "Would you - no I'm doing this wrong," he said. He pulled away and walked around in a circle thinking.

He strode up to me took my hand and knelt on one knee. "Raina, will be my wife?"he asked. His eyes locked with mine and I thought. All I cared about was him. All I wanted to do was help him. I had almost unwillingly given my heart to him. He was probably the best man I would ever know. I went to my knees and threw my arms around his neck and kissed his cheek."Yes, of course," I said in a whisper. He jumped up and we twirled around in a few circles. We ended the spins with my arms around his neck and staring up into his face. He hugged me then gave me a kiss. "Let's go find a man with a proper licence to marry us," Ranger said. He pulled me out of the tree. "Tonight?" I asked a little shocked. "If that's alright I was hoping we could be married before you go back to Emlyn's, since we wont know when we'll see each other again." "My sister-" I said but I trailed off. I hope you don't mind. I agreed to be married when ever he decided.

We found a preacher and had Kira and Terk be the witnesses. Ranger wanted to be married in front of the pond with the moon light shining down on us. It seemed like Ranger controlled the whole world. Every thing worked out just like he wanted it to. The preacher asked for my name and my parents. I looked at Ranger and smiled. "I'm Ishraina second daughter to Sir I'tone and Lady Ishona," I said. Ranger looked at me sharply. "Are you really their daughter?" he asked. I nodded. Ranger went up to the Preacher and whispered in his ear who he was. I gave him a questioning look. "I'll tell you after we're married," he said. And so there we were. Him in a nice suit me in the most beautiful dress I've ever worn, getting married in front of a pond with the moon shining around us, and the stars winking. My gown just sparkled and I could almost believe I was in heaven. You wont believe this but Ranger actually had a diamond ring. He said that it was the only thing that would work for his wife. It's in a long diamond shape cut and it's set into a gold band with silver lines in it. The ring shines every time I shift my hand and I feel like a queen. He even had a ring for him self. Which I slid onto his finger. We kissed and we were married. The two most unlikely travelers, end up getting married. We thanked the preacher, Kira and Terk. After they all left we went back under the willow tree and sat against the trunk of the tree. I leaned against my husband (it's so weird to call him my husband).

"Raina, I have to tell you some things I don't think you'll believe," he said. "I'll try my best," I said. "And if you would try to not interrupt,"he said. "I'll try."

"My name isn't Ranger," he started out. "But I wont tell you what it is right now. I was . . . I'll just tell you, you have to know. I am the crown prince of the land I'ikane. I know I should have told you before now but it wasn't the right timing. When I was born I was sent to the house of my fathers best friend. The Duke I'tone. He and Duchess Ishona hadn't had any children so my father new I would be well looked after until I was old enough to return. When I was two Duchess Ishona had her first child, a daughter. Great happiness surrounded this event and I was sure I was going to be taken home. But it was not to be. My parents had had another son. They had sent him to live with some other family. I wanted to meet my brother but I wasn't allowed to. I was still too young. When I was three Duchess Ishona was with child again and was expecting her child very soon. That's when the worst of worst started to happen.

"I'tone was a magician. He sensed something was wrong. He felt the presence of another magic user approaching. He sent out scouts and found out that Y'ata was on his way. Y'ata had been the Mage at the castle that attended to the royalty's needs. But I'tone didn't trust him. He took his wife and his one year old daughter and placed protective spells over them. He sent them away to Duchess Ishona's sisters house. Her sister was a poor farmer and I'tone hopped that she and his daughter and his soon to be born child would be protected. I'tone sent me to the house of Medonia, after he put a spell on me that would allow me to remember all this. The Medonia family were very trusted acquaintances I'tone. And the Lord and Lady Medonia had a son a little bit younger than my self. I'tone explained to me that Y'ata was never to be trusted. All Y'ata wanted was to be King. He also said that Y'ata wanted to kill me so that my younger brother could have the thrown. Some how every one already knew that I was going to be a great king. One that wasn't going to be controlled easily. The next thing I knew I'tone had been killed by Y'ata. Their battle lasted for several hours of intense spell casting but in the end Y'ata killed your father."

A silent tear fell down my face. The father that I had always wanted to know had died. I missed him, even thought I didn't know him. I could also tell how much Ranger cared for our father. His voice was getting a little unsteady. He kissed my forehead, and continued his story.

"I mourned too. I'tone had been like a father to me. In fact your family was more like a family to me then my real one. But I did spend several years in peace with the Medonia family. Their son and I became fast friends. You could almost never find us apart. You know the Medonia's son, as Gi." Ranger paused letting this sink in then continued. "My sister, I'talia, had also been born. She was living at a house only a few miles to the west. I would always visit her. When she was four all she did was talk about me. And we spent several hours a day playing with each other. Y'ata soon discovered where I was and visited the Medonia house. Y'ata had the whole house in a lock down for three days. He almost killed me but he had seen something. Something that scared him so he didn't. But he walked the house for three days often looking at my friend. Then Y'ata had his plan. He put my friend under an enchantment that made him Y'ata's prisoner. Y'ata then threatened to kill my sister if I ever tried to over throw what he was planing. I made Y'ata promise that she would be safe if I left. He promised. So I left. I changed my name to Ranger and watched, at a distance, as my country start to fall.

"I was hurt deeply by what I had caused others to suffer. I traveled place to place begging for food. That's when I met Emlyn and her mother. I learned how Check Spellingto survive with their help. And how to get people to respect me. From then on I traveled to give service to others. Hoping that some day I would be able to lead these people to freedom. And that's when you kidnapped I'talia. And Y'ata went after me to kill me so I couldn't be freed from the promise we had given to each other. But I met you."

We sat in silence for a long time. This explained everything. I now knew why I hadn't become a Mage until later. Our fathers spell not only protected us from outside magic but also from inside magic. It wore off over the years and that's how I'm able to use magic now. "What's your real name?" I asked. Ranger smiled. "It's I'iton," he said. "I don't like it," I said with out thinking. He laughed. "You can call me Ranger. In fact I'd rather you call me Ranger."

I suppose this is a lot of information for you to think about. It certainly was for me. Good luck. And tell I'talia that her brother sends his love.

Love,

Raina.

P.S. I still can't believe that I'm married. And I'm married to a KING! Remember that only you and I, Emlyn and your friends know who Ranger really is. Ranger also said that you can only tell your traveling friends and no one else. I miss you.