CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

2

Dear Raina,

You were right in supposing that I could not write you earlier. Training has been so strict that I hardly get time for the essentials, much less the luxury of writing to you. But things have changed a bit and I now have the pleasure of writing to you.
As I am sure you guessed, I arrived in H'Iafa fifty-seven days ago. The city is big but rather boring and I have no intention of describing pointless things, such as my surroundings, to you. You must use your idiosyncratic imagination.
I made my way through the hustle and bustle of a million people, to the Warrior Training HQ. I was near the back of a long line of hopeful men and women. To my utter dismay, when the lad not more than three ahead of me got past the Security Warrior and Enlistment Officer, they announced that they were full up and that we were all free to try next year. There were moanings and groanings but, as you know me, I refused to murmur my fate and do nothing about it. The instant the moaners began to walk away, I made a beeline for the Enlistment Officer.
"Exuse me sir," I said in my best autoritative voice. "I believe you must have made some mistake. You could not possibly be full up this year. I am not in."
The Officer studied me and shook his head. "Sorry miss, we're full up. Maybe next year." He skirted around my tall frame and made for the gate.
"Sir, there must be some misunderstanding." He stopped and I did my best impersonation of Warrior Troy. "Master Sotur'i sent the recommendation form nearly a month ago." At the name of Sotur'i, the Officer perked up and took out his roll, searching on the recommendation list.
"What did you say your name was?"
"I'taira. I'taira of Tayna." You are now shaking your head. I am quite aware that you disapprove of my actions, but I had come 500 selims and I intended to get into Warrior Training. And besides, any well trained liar would know that I picked the best alibi. Master Sotur'i has not been seen for years and last the king heard, he had secluded himself in the Mount G'ahi. But he is one of the most well known and well respected warriors this world has known and anyone who had a recommendation from him was sure to get in. And, Tayna is the nearest village to Mount G'ahi so it could be possible that I had met and trained with Master Sotur'i unbeknownst to the Warrior Council.
You must credit me for my quickness of thought. I had all this planned out in a moment.
"I'm afraid I don't see your name on the list Miss I'taira." My lips pulled into a classic frown of thought and the Officer searched his list again, shaking his head when he could not find it.
"Master Sotur'i assured me he had put in his recommendation. I don't know how I will explain to him that it was somehow lost, especially with his always lecturing me on the order of the House of Warriors. I am afraid he will be terribly disappointed."
I began to walk away, shaking my head and displaying the perfect example of a disappointed child. I was stopped by the expected hand on my arm.
"Oh we must not let Master Sotur'i's expectations of our order be dashed. I am sure one of the apprentices must have misplaced it and he will be duly punished. Please forgive our miscommunication." The Officer was leading me past Security and towards the nearest barracks. "I am sure Master Sotur'i was not misled in your abilities and we are happy to have you with us. You will join Warriors One and Two Barracks. I will notify Master Gann that you will be joining his Warriors. I believe the first Call is in twenty minutes."
And with that, he left me in the sparse room. It would take too much time and paper to tell you of all my experiences here, but I will outline some, to give you a taste of what life is like.
I have met many Warriors, male and female, and quickly become good friends with a female Warrior named Kira and three male Warriors, Terk, Abe, and Benk.
Kira is in my Warrior Group, Warrior One. She has a very blunt personality and I took to her immediately. She is short and stout, the classic example of a female Warrior. Because of our difference in height we do not usually get to compete against each other, but we are both rising in our groups. She is a wizard with the Knife and has kept me from failing in that area.
Terk, Abe and Benk are also in our company. Terk is a gorilla! He has dark black hair, covering much more than his head, and he fights with an animal instinct. He is our example of what a V'iking Warrior must have been like.
Abe is tall, very tall. At first sight, he seems a bit gangly and awkward, but he is champion of the sword. Master Gann thinks he has a shot at the Warrior Cup.
And Benk, well, Benk is... Benk. He is not tall, but neither is he short. He is good, good at all things, but not quite the best in anything. I find it rather hard to try to explain Benk. The only unique feature about Benk is that he has no unique feature. I have heard Master Gann mention that he means to have him trained as a Spy. He blends into a crowd so well that he would have no difficulties in that area.
Well, those are my friends, and I am happy to say that I have no enemies. We work together and we work well.
As for myself, well, I am proud to say that I am top of my class with a bow and arrow and ashamed to say that I am near the bottom with a sword. I also do very well in hand to hand combat. I suppose all those times I had to fight off the M'iller boys really paid off.
There is so much I could tell you of my life at Warrior Training. There are times when I swear I am going to die of exhaustion and others I feel I can fly. I think it is safe to say that Warrior Training is the hardest thing I have ever done.
But I will back up and tell you precisely how my life has changed. It is up to you to judge whether it be bad or good, I still cannot decide.
It was yesterday morning, eight-twenty-two, to be exact. Kira, Abe, Terk and I were on our way to a well deserved breakfast. I was in an unusually bold and excited mood, for I had gotten the best of the top hand to hand combat Warrior in training that morning.
As we walked along, Terk and Abe were praising my fighting and rehearsing every punch and turn. Kira and I were laughing uncontrollably and I was completely surprised when Master Gann tapped me lightly on the shoulder.
We were just outside the dining hall and Terk rushed into the hall without waiting for us. Abe and Kira had stopped, their curiosity aroused by the presence of an unknown Warrior Master with Master Gann. This new Master was tall, but not awkwardly so, he was well muscled and, in short, the absolutely perfect example of an active Warrior Master. He could not have been over thirty and his eyes were bright and alert, giving the impression of a keen and thoughtful mind.
I nearly ruined my life by inquiring who the Master was but luckily, Master Gann was bursting with excitement and he introduced the man to my friends.
"Friends of I'taira, I have the great honor to introduce to you Master Sotur'i." His eyes were sparkling and he spoke quickly, nearly jumping with joy and pleasure as he introduced this great man.
I tell you sister, I nearly fainted. I am sure my eyes went wide and you could hear my heart pounding on the Battlefield three selims away. Master Gann saved me again as he continued to talk, giving me time to compose myself.
"We do not usually make a fuss over those who have been Recommended, so it is probable that you three didn't know your friend I'taira was Recommended by none other than Master Sotur'i." I could feel Master Sotur'i's eyes on me, but I kept my head lowered, hoping it looked as if I were embarassed, rather than terrified.
A new voice interrupted Master Gann's biography of Master Sotur'i's life and brought my head up. "If it would not inconvenience you, Master Gann, I would like a moment alone with I'taira. After all, I did come here to see her, and I am afraid I don't have much time." His eyes turned to me and I could see the teasing in them. I began to breathe a little easier, grateful that I would at least not have to confess my lie here, in front of my friends.
Master Gann was still apologizing for forgetting time as Master Sotur'i and I walked a ways away.
I had gained back a bit of my confidence, now that we were away from Master Gann and I decided to take the lead in my confession.
"Master Sotur'i," I tried to seem as humble as my height would let me. "I fear I have somewhat to explain."
"Indeed." His eyes were filled to the brim with sardonic humor and his lips were pulled into a small smile.
"It is true that I used your name falsely,"
"I never doubted the fact." I stopped and stared at him. "Pray continue."
I eyed him warily and went on. "I used your name falsely and I do not mean to say that such a thing should ever be excused, but I beg to lay before you the fact that by using your name, I was merely doing what every other Warrior here has done before - using every means possible to get in. Surely you cannot blame me for wanting what I am sure you yourself have wanted just as badly." Master Sotur'i was nodding, but he remained silent. I stopped and faced him. "How do you intend to punish me?"
"Punish you?" He was laughing softly. "You think I should punish you then? Well, so be it. Here is your punishment: You are to work harder than you have ever worked before, for you are to become the best Warrior in this school." His finger was punctuating his last words and a bit of the laughter had gone from his eyes. "But that's not all, every M'onday, you will take a day off. I will tell Master Gann that you are not to be allowed to do anything. You are to go into town and amuse yourself in any way you wish. But you are to not fight on M'ondays." His eyes were laughing again. "There, I believe that is a just punishment."
He began to walk away. "I must go, for I really did not come to see you." He stopped and turned back to me, holding out his hand. "But it was a pleasure meeting you I'taira. I hope you will prove that I was not wrong in Recommending you." He grasped my hand in his and then turned away again, leaving me stunned and relieved.
I am certain you think I deserve everything I got and I dare say I do and should have gotten more. But it was terrifying to be surprised like that. If I had had some time to prepare I would have thought of something. But things turned out rather well despite the fact.
The punishment does not seem to be so much of a punishment. To be sure, it will be hard to work harder and even harder to be the best, but I had planned on doing that anyway.
The M'onday thing is strange though. This is my first M'onday since he came and I have rather enjoyed it. But what baffles me is how I am supposed to become the best and still take a day off every week. It will surely put me behind. But, that's my punishment and I must accept it.
So life goes on here and it is certain to get harder, but I cannot say that I do not enjoy it. This is my dream, Raina! This is what we spent hours talking about! And now I'm here! Can you believe it?
But I am sorry that I left you. I know it must be hard and I curse myself for putting you in such a position. You just tell Uncle Derken that if he lays one finger of harm on you, I will come home as quickly as is humanly possible and he won't be able to escape my wrath. That should put some fear into him.
I have not heard any rumors of Shadows. But that is not surprising as I have hardly had time to listen to gossip, but I think the villagers of Tayna are a superstitious lot. They always make a big ado about nothing.
Oh dear Raina, you can be just as supersitious as old Kaun. I am certain your men in capes will turn out to be nothing more than shy Herms and your chills nothing more than a cold shiver. And all these wild happenings across the land have been going on for years, getting bigger with each telling and further from the truth. Dear sister, you must pull yourself away from your imaginings and stop living in your dreams. I have no explanation for your daydreaming or why they continue to grow more strange, but all I can advise is that you write down what you can remember and perhaps that will trigger more. But I confess, your dreams still baffle me and I am not qualified to say how to deal with them.
Your fascination with the king is still helpless. "I wonder how the King is dealing with this?" "How would the King do this?" and so forth. It is a strange thing that as sisters we can differ so much on that subject. I could lecture you time and again on the evils of Kings and you would listen and agree and then go on and on with your wonderings about the king. I have said it before and I will say it again, you must be in love. You will object, but how else can you agree so wholly on the subject of revolution and the abolition of the Rule and then be so fascinated with the King. It is the King himself that you love, as I know you to despise his reign.
But be what it may, I do not know how King Gioto is dealing with these strange occurances that I confess ignorance of, and I dare say I don't care.
This letter may be treasonous, but the king may do what he will, he will soon enough be out of power. I may not be the one to lead the revolution, but by my lance, I will be the one to start it, even if I fight it alone!
Please forgive my zeal. It is unwise of you to mention this cause in a letter, you have no way of stopping my ramblings on paper.
How are you getting on without me to protect you? My dear girl, one of these days you are going to have to either get yourself a man to protect you or you are going to have to agree to learning the art of defense. You are much too attractive to be safe from the world and I would kill myself if any harm came to you because I was not there to protect you.
I hope you are not too hard on this Carcon. Just because you think him discrepant, does not mean he disagrees with anyone or anything else. And I am certain you are thankful for the helping hand. I do not know what Uncle is thinking in letting you continue your work on the farm. No offfense to you, but you are hardly a help at all and you are sorely needed at the school. I wish I could do something to change his mind about you taking the position of schoolmaster. He must realize that there is no one better suited to it than you.
Oh my lance, it is hard for me to not rush home to you and help you out of your problems. But I suppose I must let you grow up someday and you must take on your own trials.
Well, my dear, do not let your imagination get you into any more trouble and be sure to give Uncle my warning, and you can pass that on to Aunt Kalesa as well. I am your guardian now that I have turned nineteen and if they do not take care of you they will lose the pension they are earning.

May we do without the Kings Grace and protect ourselves.
Yours always,
I'taira

P.S.
Dear girl, let's try to not wonder so about our parents, shall we? I cannot explain their disappearance any more now than I could three months ago and it is just another cause of worry. I do not know why Aunt and Uncle remember so little about them but neither can I explain how I remember so little of them. Let's just give it a rest. It will only hurt otherwise.