CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

37

My Dear Lady/Queen Raina,


Be assured, I am not married as of yet and am not likely to be in such a position in the foreseeable future. 
Your wish is granted, along with my prayer, and my party is safe at last in the Rebellion. I find it still necessary to write to you as I have not been given the chance to make the trek to your part of the Rebellion. I have high hopes though that I will see you soon.
The last day of our journey here was more exciting than the previous few but we got through it without any serious injuries and we are all safe and well at the front of this magnificent cave-like city. I continue to be amazed at such organization and intelligent leadership. It must be owed to that dear husband of yours. 
Oh dearest Raina, I have had the great pleasure of meeting him at long last. Ranger was kind enough to welcome our small troupe into his ranks and I have had many a conversation with him since, conversations largely consisting of yourself. I have never seen a man so much in love and I am astounded that it took you so long to be sure of his affections. But we are all blind in love, right?
You must not worry yourself about my feelings against Luc. Everything was surprisingly easy to forgive and I cannot wait to see him and Bud together. I have seen Luc once and with a personality such as his, the reunion was joyful and comfortable. I feel sorry for ever thinking so harshly against him. How could one ever suspect such a man of anything beyond what is most agreeable and good?
My heart is bursting with so many emotions Raina! I have seen Abe, he has agreed to take this letter to you, and I have seen my dear friends Kira and Terk! I have only to see you for my joy to be full! Our reuniting has been utterly fantastic and there seems to have been no ill feelings towards even Benk. 
Benk and I'talia are nearest the front, next to Ranger. They are together... you must construe. I cannot say more. I am bound by a promise to I'talia. She has really taken a great liking to you, although I can't imagine how that came about as you were the one to kidnap her, and she has insisted on being the one to tell you.  Because of Benk's previous loyalties, he is of most use where he can scrutinize the enemies movements and judge how they are most likely to act. Gi is employed in much the same way. He and Ranger are as good friends as they must have been when they were little. Gi is not afraid to critique and give his opinion where it is hardly needed and Ranger occasionally listens. But you were quite right, there is little good in trying to tell Ranger what to do.  
As for me, I am doing what I do best. Ranger has put me in command of a small force of cavalry and I try my hardest to keep them in top condition. Gi laughs at the fact that I am now considered so adept at cavalry when once I had to be strapped into the saddle to stay on. I kick him out whenever he tries to watch my training and give us pointers. But he laughs and gives them anyway. 
Last time I tried unsuccessfully to push him past the entrance to our training, he picked me up right in front of my men and carried me off to that tree of yours that has a habit of putting itself in romantic positions. I was of course furious that he should humiliate me so in front of my own men and showed him so. But I have a nasty habit of forgiving him every time he kisses me and it was no different then. When he finally consented to taking me back to training, he again carried me the whole way and I tried my very hardest to look dignified in front of my command. I don't think I pulled it off very well but they were good enough to not comment on the incident. Although I heard one of the men talking later and I was ashamed to hear that he was laughing about me letting that fool of a man Gi shame me so. I was so furious as to find it absolutely necessary to bring the matter to Ranger's attention and insist that he forbid Gi from coming to training. He laughed! That fool husband of yours laughed the matter off and said that if you were there he would have done the same thing. He then patted my shoulder and urged me to be kinder to a man so much in love. 
Oh Raina, guess who has just arrived? Luc and Bud. I can already see how strange Bud is certain to be but she seems a dear girl. I will ask Abe to wait a while to take this to you so I may write more. Later...

Later:
It's been nearly a whole day since I wrote you last. 
I am sick. Sick and horrified at all these weddings. Heaven help us! 
So, though this may be sad news to you, I am under obligation to relate to you the happenings of this night. 
Luc and Bud came to us all smiles and giggles. My lance, I haven't seem such a couple before. Completely engrossed in each other and when words fail them, gazing into the others eyes as if all the words were to be found there. I am surprised you needed to go through Luc's memories to come to the conclusion he was in love. I am sure I would have spotted it a mile off. 
Anyway, it was Abe, Gi, Luc, Bud and me waiting for Ranger. I had to report on some scouting he had me do yesterday, Abe was to report on you, Gi was just making a nuisance of himself by hanging around, and Luc and Bud were there to receive permission on something soon to be known to us all. 
When Ranger finally came, he was in a huge rush, as usual. But his manners held through all our reports and when he called Luc and Bud into his "office", his whole attitude changed. 
The rest of us had been hanging about as we were going to have a picnic all together near that famous tree and lake where you were married. When Luc, Bud and Ranger came out, they were all smiling idiotically and it didn't take the rest of us long to guess that something was up when Ranger invited himself to our picnic. Of course we had invited him originally, but he is always so busy that he had first declined. But he came along, speaking to Abe along the way of you and continually asking Gi when he thought it wise to allow himself time for the honeymoon you have yet to enjoy. Luc and Bud were engrossed in each other, Gi was engrossed in me, I in him, and Ranger was off in his daydreams of you. When we came to the pond, we found the sweetest sight before us. 
The little old preacher was standing on a raised dais, dressed in his finest clothes and smiles. All about him were flowers of all colors and varieties, adorning the natural walkway. Bud embraced Luc as Ranger directed us to our various positions. Luc stood near the preacher, Ranger also, I was directed to walk down the "aisle" before Bud, which I did with a sour expression when I saw Gi's eyes focused on me and as I cursed myself for not wearing something finer than my training gear.
I took my place near Gi as Bud and Luc stood before the preacher. The vows were said and Ranger gave them the rings. Nothing compared to yours, I'm sure, but beautiful nonetheless. 
I was scolding myself for crying and Gi put his arm around me, causing my tears to run even faster. He smiled at me and held me as I cried. I don't know why I was so emotional but the whole thing was rather sweet. 
Oh, I forgot to mention, Emlyn was there. She came with Luc and Bud but didn't join us until we were headed to the lake/wedding. She was as happy as could be expected and even consented to let Bud hug her. I am so very glad Luc and she are reunited and I am sure you have noticed the good it has done for Emlyn. Surely, she does not love Bud like she should, and she does not stop herself from ridiculing the poor girl, but she is not all bad to her. 
Bud was dressed in the most eccentric costume I have ever seen but her eyes were shining and she somehow managed to keep her balance throughout the ceremony. When she finally did trip on herself after, Luc was there to catch her. They really are the perfect couple. 
After the wedding, Ranger did have to rush off but we had a little celebration picnic and enjoyed ourselves very much. We all wished you were there and Bud was especially sad. She kept bemoaning the fact that you were absent, as you are certainly her best friend. It seems this girl does not take your kindness to her lightly. 
After the picnic, all were prevailed upon to spend the night and Abe agreed to take this letter in the morning. I was just coming to finish it, when Gi literally swept me away back to that romantic little spot by the lake. He set me down gently and retrieved one of the red roses for me. 
"Tair, wouldn't you like to have a wedding just like today?" Gi spoke wistfully with a touch of playfulness about him.
"I certainly should not." I said empatically, throwing the rose to the ground. 
He looked at me in confusion and I slapped his hand away from mine, pulling my knees to my chest and hugging them as I stared out at the lake. Gi was still confused and a bit hurt and I sighed before explaining, this time not shrugging off his arm around my shoulders.
"How cliche! Why, this is the second wedding plus, who knows how many more, to be performed at this place and I don't intend for mine to be one of them. And in such a rush too. Why, there would be hardly any time to daydream, to sigh in expectation of the exciting moment and to gather together friends and loved ones to give advice and good wishes." Gi smiled at the picture I was painting and I continued. "As for the place, well, I may be a bit traditional in the whole preparation, but heaven forbid me being traditional in the actual spot of the wedding. My wedding, must be no less than extraordinary. The place must be romantic in a dangerous and unique way. The top of a mountain, or the middle of a jungle seething with wild animals. And as much as I love my good friends, it will just be me and..." I stopped myself from saying "you". "my fiance." I blushed at the look on Gi's face. "A wedding should not just be a ceremony for all to witness. It must be a promise, a vow between two people, witnessed by perhaps two or three people, but no more. And I should like to be swept off my feet and away as soon as the ceremony is over. A person can have all the time he or she likes to lament and congratulate beforehand, but the moment I am married, I want to be with no one but my husband, and I want to somewhere away from the world, somewhere I should be completely lonely if I were with anyone but him." I blushed again and stood up. It made me uncomfortable to be telling these things to Gi. To be sure, we have spoken of such things before, you and I, but it is absolutely different telling it to the person you imagine doing it with. 
Gi stood up and put his arms around me. 
"Sounds perfect." His voice was choked with emotion and I hit him in the stomach for it. He tackled me to the ground and I was laughing so hard from the tickling that I had no thought of defending myself. He picked me up off the ground and held me in his arms as one would a baby. I was still weak from laughing and he nearly fell over from his own weakness. He looked at the lake and got a sudden glint in his eye, one I knew only too well and I clung to his neck urging him to not do it. He walked closer to the water and I scrambled to get down. 
"Don't you dare Gi Medo! I swear to high H'lafa..." I had no time to finish the sentence as I was chucked into the icy water. He dove in after me and held my arms behind my back and my head thankfully above the water as I struggled to deliver a blow to his head. We laughed and fought and soon came out, drenched and shivering. 
We clung to each other continually laughing as I mockingly tried to hit him. My blushes warmed my face when I noticed Ranger walking by but Gi still held me. Ranger laughed and waved before continuing on his way. 
Really, men can be so shameless when they're in love.
Sorry I got distracted from the main part of the story. Luc and Bud are off for a short honeymoon in a quieter part of the Rebellion. Ranger wanted to make everything perfect for them but he continues to sigh over the fact that he has still not got his honeymoon.
Ranger has gratefully separated me from Gi, as he was needed. I have had time to clear my thoughts but strangely enough, they are still misty in love. 
I cannot wait to see you little sister! It is so hard to be so close and yet still unable to see you after all this time. But perhaps one of us will get a day off of training and war one of these days and we will see each other at long last. 
Be safe little sister. 

Yours,
I'taira