CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

38

Dear I'taira,

I long to see you. I miss you so much, and even more now that you are here at the rebellion. I'm so frustrated that I can't see you. We're so close, yet we're so far. I want to be with Ranger so much but it's not to be. At least for right now. I long to meet Gi now that he isn't under Y'ata's spell. Ranger has written me a letter telling me how close you two are. He said that if you two aren't married by the end of the rebellion then he might order you two married. He is so happy to be with Gi again. I'm sorry if he bores you with questions about me and talking about me. Ranger himself admitted that he thinks of little else besides me. I tell him that he is likely to drive all of you insane, but he says you are all content because your all so busy with your loved ones.

I want to be there so bad with all of you. I want to be in the middle of the action. But as you probably know I'm stuck learning spells and perfecting them. Bud even left me a list of spells to study while she's gone. I try to show nothing but pleasure for Luc and Bud's wedding and honeymoon but I must admit that I long to have a honeymoon with my husband. After all we are both working harder than most any one here . . . . That wasn't very nice of me to say. I really miss Ranger though. I lay at night and can't think of anything else but him. Why is it that when we decide to love each other and get married we never see each other. It's not that I'm unhappy I just wish I could be there with him. Helping and supporting him.

Bud made me so mad when she told me she was going to get married and it was at a time that I couldn't go. She felt awful about it but what could she have done? I wanted to be there so badly. Not only to see you, Gi and Ranger. I wanted to congratulate Bud and Luc personally. I wanted to support my new friend. This is all very disappointing for me. At least you were there.

If any one, and I mean any one, gives you trouble just tell me and I'll be there. Most every one in the rebellion has seen me fight and they know that any one who goes against me will lose. Especially now that I have Bud's new spells. I know so much. I have learned such powerful spells that I no longer fear facing Y'ata. I will be able to give him a fight worth remembering. After all Y'ata did kill our father. I think he must have cheated in that fight or something. But again our father didn't have foresight. I can feel the magic flow through me so easily right now. It is such a strange feeling. Abe is very nice. He trys to be interested in my spells but I can tell that his mind is constantly on Emlyn. He does a good job guarding me but he really has nothing to guard me from. Today Benk and I'talia dropped by. They really are very sweet. I'talia is a funny girl. At first our conversation was very uncomfortable and stressed but it started to ease once I asked about you. She thinks the world of you. It was so nice to talk to a normal girl again. Bud is always talking like a Sage who can't stop talking and then she'll make a mistake then explain why she did it wrong, thereby sounding like a accident prone girl. I think Bud is the most interesting person. Don't get me wrong, I do care for her. Then Emlyn is always so serious and calm. I'talia is full of conversation. She told me how happy she was that Ranger married a girl who was going to be able to take care of her self. She also said that I was probably the only person in the world who would suit Ranger. I had to agree with her of course. Then she looked at Benk with a small shy glance.

And then she started to thank me for kidnapping her. I was some what shocked, I mean I wasn't exactly nice to her. Then she reached out and held Benk's hand. "If you hadn't kidnapped me I would never of had a chance to fall in love with Benk," I'talia said. I looked from I'talia to Benk then back to I'talia. "Your married then?" I asked. They both smiled and nodded. "Congratulations!" I said, "Though I knew you were married. You both should have told me earlier." They looked at each other a little guiltily. I laughed. I now see why you are so sick of people getting married. But I'talia and Benk did sat that they see you and Gi being married soon. You know that you love him and that he is perfect for you. Benk and Abe have been talking while I've been writing to you. I'talia has been out to see Bud's cave garden. I will have to write later because I'm going to walk the two married couple past the closest selling area.

Later:

I can't write very much. I have to leave. I saw Master S'oturi! He told me the gravest of news. An army is sneaking towards the rebellion and has gone unnoticed. They are not a three days walk from the rebellion!

I have to calm down and finish this letter. I don't know how Master S'oturi got past the guards but he did. He pulled me aside into an alley away from the busy shopping street, and a place where Abe couldn't find us quickly. Master S'oturi looked me up and down. "You look the same as always," he said. "I hear I am to congratulate you on your marriage to Ranger." I nodded. I didn't trust Master S'oturi. He was using a tone of voice that I didn't like. But I assure you he was under no spell. "Raina," he said, "I have come to warn you that Y'ata and an army of over five-thousand men are on their way to the rebellion." He let that sink in before continuing. "I can't believe you are all at ease here. It will be easier for Y'ata to kill you all then I thought," he said. "YOU KNOW NOTHING!" I yelled at him.

He laughed and started to walk away. "Wait," I called after him and he turned around. "Aren't you going to help us fight?" "Why?" he asked. I was confused. First he comes and tells me we are soon to be under attack then he refuses to fight. "With all possibilities considered," he said, "the rebellion will fall and you will all be crushed. I do not see why I should fight for a lost cause." "It's not a lost cause!" I said. "You always had faith," S'oturi said. "But when Y'ata comes you will be the first one he kills. With Y'ata coming here you have no chance of surviving." "What do you suggest I do?" I asked. "Raina as an old master counseling a young apprentice I would tell you to lead Y'ata away from the rebellion. If he comes here then he will ruin any sort of idea or attack strategy you have planed," he said. "But if you leave he will follow you. He wants you dead more than any one else here in the rebellion, except for your husband. If Y'ata is lead away then the rebellion might stand a chance. I have no more suggestions for you. Farewell. If you die I will make sure you have a nice grave stone." And he walked off.

I stood in shock. This is what I have been dreading, I didn't want this to happen. I didn't move until Abe appeared at the head of the alley with his sword drawn he walked up to me and asked if I was alright. Abe's words woke me up from my stupor. I ran from the alley with Abe close behind me. That's when I started writing. Abe doesn't even know what is going on. I decided that I needed to write to you so that I wouldn't die because of confusion, and because I'm in such a rush. Now that I have written all of this down I will be able to think more clearly. I'm going to send Abe with this letter to you. And I will also tell Abe what is going on.

Sister I love you, I want you to know that. I also need you to comfort Ranger. Explain to him that I had to go, it would have been harder for me if I stopped to say good bye, it will be more fitting this way. Make sure that all the preparations for war are made, and that all the children and most of the women are sent deeper into the caves. I long to see you before I leave but I wont be able to. I will be sending you short updates of the battle between me and Y'ata. Please don't write back to me, not now, I couldn't bare it. If we should never meet again please watch out for Ranger, and I . . . I can't write any more, this will be the death of me if I keep writing to you.

Good bye,

Raina


It has been less than a day since I last wrote to you. I was able to get past H'lafa by the time Y'ata caught up to me and we started to fight. In Mage's fights you fight only when there is light and you take a break at night to ready yourself for the next battle. We are at that point right now. I'm doing better than Y'ata expected of me. He keeps telling me how our father died. He's trying to provoke my anger. I can't be brought down to his level, that would ensure my death. Bud's spells are a marvelous help. Please thank her for me. And tell Ranger that- I love him.


It's been another hard day of fighting. Y'ata has pushed me back about a days worth of the journey. He's driving me towards the rebellion. We should arrive there in probably another day. I try hard to escape him sister and push him back, I really do. He wont let me go any other direction. He wont let me lead him away from the rebellion. Sister prepare your selves. I don't know how much longer this will last.


SISTER! WE ARE ABOUT AN HOUR FROM THE REBELLION. I'VE MANAGED TO GET AWAY FOR A FEW SECONDS TO WRITE THIS. PREPARE EVERYONE. WE'RE ALMOST THERE. I'LL TRY TO DETAIN Y'ATA AS LONG AS I CAN BUT I DON'T THINK I CAN GIVE YOU MORE THAN A FEW HOURS. PRAY THAT WE'LL LIVE THROUGH TODAY AND THAT THE SKY WILL HOLD HER TEARS TILL AFTER WE'RE DONE WITH THIS MESS.

Now I either go to death or ruin. I will always love you sister. And tell Ranger that I know now that I could never have been happy with any body else but him. And tell him simply . . . that I really do love him.

Ishraina